Monday 10 August 2009

Day 24: we wait...

Disclaimer: I'm too hot to write this up properly, but I just re-read my notes, and it sums it up perfectly. So here it is in note form)...

The port, Baku, Azerbaijan. I sit waiting for the endless train to finish, so I can half-drunkenly drive the punto onto the boat and finally get some sleep.

Wake up in van.

Suss out ticket information. Office is just empty room. One man sits by desk. Go in and he puts you on a mobile. Bloke speaks pigeon english says to come back at 12.

We go off to hunt dollars to pay for the boat. Need to make a visa withdrawal, as no-one's taking our cards. Steve and I waiting ages in a massive bank, two scruffy twats. Get it eventually, go back to the port.

They say to come back at 6.

Steve opts for sleeping in the car at the port, Jeff and I have a ramble round the city. Get past the manicured facade to see some pretty old streets. Ambling and talking. Stop and get a coffee. This place won't be like this for long - indiscriminately caning the old buildings to build the oil shrine.

Get back for 6. I speak to the bloke on the phone. 'I see you at 2 today night. Boat coming in then. You go Turkmenistan. 2 today night. Maybe 12. maybe one. I see you at customs office. I see you.' I keep trying to ask how to buy a ticket. 'I see you at 2 today night. I see you.' Ok.

Jess and Justin. Start chatting. They've got beer. We go for beer and kebaps. And a shisha. Get quite a sesh in.

Go back and Ernst and Ollie have arrived. Cooks tajine, more food. Get quitars out, blues about shepherd's sex disc blues. I go car for 15 mins kip. Then news comes in - there's a boat.

Ticket rigmorale.

When we do that it turns out to be the bloke from the morning who sorts it all out. Why didnt' he just give a ticket when you arrive? OR put a sign up or something. But there's nothing. Nothing.

Soon we'll be on the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment